CRP Information for Landlords
Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP) Requirements
If you own or manage a rental property and rent living space to someone, you must provide a CRP to each renter if either of these apply:
- Property tax was payable in 2022 on the property.
- The property is tax-exempt, but you made payments in lieu of property taxes.
For the most recent form, see 2022 CRP, Certificate of Rent Paid.
For more information, see the Landlord Instructions for Form CRP.
Calculations for Health Care Facilities
Health care facilities have special requirements for completing CRPs for their residents.
Do not provide a CRP if a resident’s entire care is paid under any of these assistance programs:
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA)
- Medical Assistance (MA or Medicaid)
- General Assistance Medical Care (GAMC)
- Housing Support (formerly Group Residential Housing or GRH)
Note: If assistance programs pay only part (or none) of a resident’s care, you must issue a CRP.
Notice of Proposed Property Tax
In November, you will receive a Notice of Proposed Property Tax for Taxes Payable in 2024 from your county treasurer.
By state law-as an owner of rental housing-you are required to:
- mail or hand deliver a copy of the notice to your tenants; or
- post a copy of your notice in a conspicuous place on the premises occupied by your tenants.
The purpose of providing copies or posting the notice is to notify tenants of proposed property tax increases or decreases on the building, which may affect their rent payments.
You must post, mail or hand delivery a copy of your Notice of Proposed Property Tax to your tenants by:
- November 27, 2023; or
- no later than three days after you receive the notice, whichever is later.
If You Want Your Notice to be Mail to a Different Address
While the Notice of Proposed Property Tax is normally mailed to the same address as the property tax bill, owners of rental housing may call or write their county treasurer to request the notice be mailed to a different address.