AmeriCorps Program for Post-Service Awards


If you completed the AmeriCorps Program, you may not have to pay Minnesota income tax on education awards you received from the federal government. These include tuition reimbursements or student loan payments.

You can subtract the awards from taxable income on your Minnesota tax return, but only for amounts included in your federal taxable income. To do so, complete Schedule M1M, Income Additions and Subtractions, and include it with your Form M1, Individual Income Tax.

If you used the award for student loan payments, and you deducted the loan interest on your federal return, you must reduce your subtraction by the interest attributable to the loan payments.

Note: You cannot subtract the stipend you received while working in the program.

Contact Info

Last Updated