Lump-Sum Distributions


A qualified lump-sum distribution is the payment of your qualified retirement plan’s entire balance (including pension, profit-sharing, or stock bonus plans) in one tax year after you reach age 59½.

If you were born before 1936, you may specify the tax treatment of retirement plan distributions using federal Form 4972. Your choices include:

  • The capital gain election, where you pay a 20% tax on the capital gain portion of your distribution
  • The 10-year tax option, where you pay tax on the total taxable amount based on a 10-year average

These choices may reduce your tax from what it would have been if you did not use federal Form 4972 and reported your distribution as ordinary income.

Note: If you qualify for the capital gain or 10-year tax option, you must calculate the tax on your distribution directly on federal Form 4972. Do not report the distribution separately as part of taxable income on your federal return.

Minnesota reporting depends on what federal tax treatment you choose.

If youThen you
Choose the 10-year tax optionMust calculate the Minnesota tax due on the taxable part of your distribution. Use Schedule M1LS, Tax on Lump-Sum Distribution. ​

Choose the capital gain election


Choose both the capital gain election and the 10-year tax option for part of your distribution

Must add back the capital gain portion of the distribution to taxable income. Use Schedule M1M, Income Additions and Subtractions.

Must include Schedule M1M and Schedule M1LS with your Minnesota return.

Do not use federal Form 4972 and treat the distribution as ordinary incomeDo not need to file Schedule M1LS. Your distribution is included in your federal taxable income.

For more information on lump-sum distributions, review Minnesota Statute 290.0131, subdivision 4, and Lump-Sum Distributions on the IRS website.

Contact Info

Last Updated