Master’s Degree in Teacher’s Licensure Field
You may qualify for a nonrefundable credit if you are a licensed Minnesota teacher completing a master’s degree program in your licensure field.
You may qualify for this credit if all of the following are true:
- You began a master's degree program after June 30, 2017
- Your program was in reading, English or language arts, mathematics, science, foreign languages, civics and government, economics, arts, history, or geography
- You completed your program in the year you claim the credit
- Your program did not include a pedagogy component (pedagogy is the method and practice of teaching)
- You held a Minnesota teaching license issued by the Minnesota Department of Education when you began and completed your program
- You paid for tuition or required fees, books, or instructional materials for your program
If you are a part-year or nonresident, you may qualify for the credit based on your percentage of income taxable to Minnesota.
Claim the Credit
Complete Schedule M1CMD, Credit for Attaining Master’s Degree in Teacher’s Licensure Field, for the year you completed the master’s degree program.
Amount of Credit
The credit is the lesser of $2,500 or the amount you paid - excluding reimbursement or scholarships - for tuition, fees, books, and instructional materials.