Marriage Credit


If you file a joint income tax return (with two incomes), you may be eligible for a nonrefundable credit.

To qualify for this credit, all of these must be true:

  • You are married and filing a joint return
  • You and your spouse have taxable earned income, taxable pensions, or taxable Social Security income
  • Your joint taxable income is at least $44,000
  • The income of the lesser-earning spouse is at least $28,000

If you or your spouse is a part-year resident or nonresident, you may claim this credit based on the percentage of Minnesota income from Schedule M1NR, Nonresidents/Part-Year Residents.

Complete Schedule M1MA, Marriage Credit, to claim this credit and determine your amount. Include Schedule M1MA when filing Form M1, Individual Income Tax.


Contact Info

Last Updated