Credit for Past Military Service

If you are a veteran of the U.S. military, including the National Guard and Reserves, you may qualify for a nonrefundable credit up to $750 for your past service.

Do I qualify for this credit?

You may qualify if your Minnesota adjusted gross income is less than $37,500, you have separated from military service before the end of the year, and one of the following is true:
  • You served at least 20 years in the military.
  • You have a service-connected disability rating of 100 percent total and permanent as rated by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
  • You were honorably discharged and you receive a pension or other retirement pay for service in the military.

If you are a part-year or nonresident, you may qualify for the credit based on the percentage of your income taxable to Minnesota.

You may not claim this credit if you claim a subtraction for military retirement pay.

Note: If your Minnesota adjusted gross income for tax year 2018 is between $30,000 and $37,500, review the 2018 Schedule M1NC, Federal Adjustments, and determine if you must file this schedule. For more information, see Federal Adjustments

How do I claim this credit?

Complete the worksheet in the instructions for Schedule M1C, Other Nonrefundable Credits.

Contact Info

Last Updated