Requesting a Compromise


A compromise is a written agreement to settle a tax debt for less than the full amount due. You may offer a compromise on any Minnesota tax debt. We may accept when it is in the state’s best interest to do so. (See Minnesota Statute 270C.52.)

For tax debt from a joint tax return or audit, you may request a compromise together or separately. To make a separate request, you must first apply for a Separation of Liability.

Note: We do not consider the same factors as the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for compromise requests. We may deny a request for state tax debt even it was approved by the IRS for federal tax debt.


Contact Info