Minnesota Withholding for Employees


If you are an employee, make sure you have the correct amount of Minnesota income tax withheld from your pay. Changing your Minnesota withholding may change your refund or amount due when filing your Minnesota income tax return.

Change Minnesota Withholding

  • You are beginning employment
  • You made changes to your federal withholding
  • You are changing your filing status or reasonably expect to change it next year
  • Your personal or financial situation changes

Provide the completed Form W-4MN to your employer.

Exempt from Minnesota Withholding

If you are exempt from Minnesota withholding, your employer or payer does not have to withhold Minnesota tax.

You may claim exempt from Minnesota withholding if at least one of these apply:

  • You meet the requirements and claim exempt from federal withholding
  • You had no Minnesota income tax liability last year, received a refund of all Minnesota income tax withheld, and do not expect to owe state income tax this year
  • Your work-related income qualifies for relief under the Military Spouses Residency Relief Act (see Service Member Spouse Tax Relief)
  • You receive Minnesota National Guard pay or active-duty U.S. military pay
  • You receive a military pension or other military retirement pay under U.S. Code, Title 10

Contact Info

Last Updated