Property Tax Refund for Nonresidents
If you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you may qualify for a property tax refund if you owned a home or rented a property in Minnesota. Claim this refund by filing Form M1PR, Homestead Credit Refund (for Homeowners) and Renter's Property Tax Refund.
For details on your filing options, see Filing for a Property Tax Refund.
Do I qualify for this refund?
To qualify, all of the following must be true:
- You spent at least 183 days in Minnesota during the year
- You cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return
- Your property was assessed property taxes, or the owner made payments in lieu of property taxes
- Your household income is below a certain amount
- (Homeowners only) You have a valid Social Security Number