Property Tax Refund for Nonresidents


If you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you may qualify for a Property Tax Refund if you owned a home or rented a property in Minnesota. Claim this refund by filing Form M1PR, Homestead Credit Refund (for Homeowners) and Renter's Property Tax Refund.

For details on your filing options, see Filing for a Property Tax Refund.

Do I qualify for this refund?

To qualify, all of these must be true:

  • You spent at least 183 days in Minnesota during the year
  • You cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return
  • Your property was assessed property taxes or the owner made payments in lieu of property taxes
  • Your household income is below a certain amount
  • You have a valid Social Security Number (Homeowners only)

Contact Info

Last Updated