Application for Nonprofit Exempt Status


Minnesota law exempts certain nonprofit organizations from paying sales and use tax on their purchases used to perform the charitable, religious, or educational functions of the nonprofit organization.

Being exempt from federal income tax does not automatically mean an organization is exempt from Minnesota Sales and Use Tax.

How to Apply

An organization must apply to the Minnesota Department of Revenue for authorization, known as Nonprofit Exempt Status.

For more information, see the Nonprofit Organizations Industry Guide.


Contact Info

Last Updated