Penalty Abatement for Businesses


The Minnesota Department of Revenue may assess penalties when you do not comply with state tax laws. You may be able to request an abatement (cancellation) of these penalties and interest on the penalties. 

You may request an abatement if:

  • You have reasonable cause for filing or paying late, such as circumstances beyond your control or a first-time occurrence.
  • You received incorrect advice in writing from a Minnesota Department of Revenue employee.

Submit your request after we notify you of a penalty. We do not abate tax and rarely abate the interest on tax.

Learn more about Penalties and Interest Rates for Businesses.


Contact Info

Last Updated