Sales Tax API (Application Program Interface)
The Minnesota Department of Revenue is currently offering a beta version of our Sales Tax Application Program Interface (Sales Tax API) that connects an online retailer’s sales site and Minnesota’s sales tax rate information, using a nine-digit ZIP code.
Why use the beta Sales Tax API?
The beta Sales Tax API is a free and efficient service that will automatically find the general state and local sales tax rate for any location in Minnesota for each of your sales transactions. You will no longer need to do any quarterly updates for rates and boundaries information when using the beta Sales Tax API.
The results do not include special local taxes—such as admissions, entertainment, liquor, lodging, and restaurant taxes—that may also apply. For more information, see Local Sales Tax Information.
Register For the Beta Sales Tax API
- Fill out our online registration form to get a subscriber ID and password
- You must not share the subscriber ID and password outside your organization
- You must not package, distribute, or sell the subscriber ID and password outside to any other person or entity
- If you’re interested in testing the beta Sales Tax API, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and contact information.
Who can use the beta Sales Tax API?
- Online retailers who sell and deliver products into Minnesota
- You should have the tools and staff available to support your software development process.
- We provide the Sales Tax API developer documentation to enable your programmers to implement the interface.
- Software distributors, developers, and service providers
- If you plan to distribute software with the beta Sales Tax API embedded to multiple customers, each of them will need to register for a subscriber ID and password.
- 100 transactions per 15 minutes for each subscriber
- Counter is reset every 15 minutes