Fire Safety Surcharge


All property and casualty insurance companies licensed to write fire insurance must report the Fire Safety Surcharge. If you carry a license with Clause 1 from the Minnesota Department of Commerce, you must file a return.

This surcharge return can only be filed by paper, but can be paid electronically through our e-Services system.

If you are a: File

Stock insurance company

Form IG261, Fire Safety Surcharge

Mutual insurance company 

Form IG262, Fire Safety Surcharge for Mutual Companies

Note: Mutual property and casualty companies must collect and remit the Fire Safety Surcharge (Form IG261) or Fire Safety Surcharge for Mutual Companies (Form IG262). See Minnesota Statute 297I.05, subd. 3 and 4. You must file the same way and use the same form for an entire calendar year. 


Contact Info

Last Updated