Qualifying for Nonprofit Exempt Status


Minnesota law exempts certain nonprofit organizations from paying Sales and Use Tax.

To get this exemption, an organization must apply to the Minnesota Department of Revenue for authorization, known as Nonprofit Exempt Status.

Note: Being exempt from federal income tax does not automatically mean an organization is exempt from sales and use tax in Minnesota. You must apply for the state’s sales tax exemption.