Cigarette and Tobacco Licensing Information


Distributors and Subjobbers

Distributors and subjobbers must be licensed by the Minnesota Department of Revenue before they can sell or distribute cigarettes or tobacco products in Minnesota. (Go to Minnesota Statutes 297.03.)

Licenses are valid for two years, beginning January 1 of each even-numbered year and ending December 31 of the following odd-numbered year.


City and County Tobacco Licensing Authorities 

Businesses that sell cigarettes or tobacco products are required to have a retail license. The city, county, or town where the business is located administers the licenses.

As the licensing authority, you must inform the Department of Revenue of the following:

  • Business name
  • License address
  • Minnesota Tax ID Number
  • License effective and expiration dates

Notify Us of New Licenses or Changes

You are required to notify us within 30 days of any new license or license renewal, transfer, cancellation, suspension, or revocation during the license period. (Go to Minnesota Statute 461.12 subd. 8.)

You can use the Form CT102, License Application to Make Retail Sales of Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products and fax it to us, or email a list in a Word or Excel file.

For More Information

More information for retail applicants or new licensees is available in License Requirements for Retailers Fact Sheet 2.

You can also contact us at 651-556-3035 or with questions.

We are also available to come to your city or county office to provide tobacco license training.

Contact Info

Last Updated