The Minnesota Department of Revenue has tips for those who still need to file their taxes

Date of Release

ST. PAUL, Minn. - More than 1.4 million Minnesota taxpayers have already filed their taxes and over 970,000 refunds have already been sent out. With over a million taxpayers expected to file between now and the April 15 filing deadline, the Minnesota Department of Revenue has some tips to make it easier for those who still need to file.

Ready to file?

  • E-file and choose direct deposit. Electronically filing your return and choosing direct deposit for your refund is the most secure and convenient way to file your taxes and get your refund. If your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) is $79,000 or less, you may qualify to file electronically for free. Use the links on our website to see if you qualify for free state and federal income tax filing.
  • Claim the new Child Tax Credit if you’re eligible. Beginning with tax year 2023, you may qualify for a Child Tax Credit of $1,750 per qualifying child, with no limit on the number of children claimed. This is a refundable credit, meaning you can receive a refund even if you do not owe tax. You must file a 2023 individual income tax return in order to claim the credit. Learn more about income requirements and qualifications on the Child Tax Credit webpage.
  • Check your return for accuracy. Enter your name, and the names of any dependents, exactly as they appear on Social Security cards, Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) cards or letters. Double-check bank routing and account numbers used on tax forms for direct deposit. Incorrect information on tax forms can result in refund delays. 
  • File your return by the April 15 due date, even if you owe more than you can pay. Pay as much as you can by the due date and contact us as soon as possible to set up a payment agreement for the remaining balance. You can include your banking information on your electronically filed return to make the payment or pay electronically with our e-Services Payment System. You can specify when the payment will be taken from your checking or savings account in advance or on the due date.

Need tax filing assistance?

  • Free tax preparation services are available for those who qualify. Free tax preparation sites are available across Minnesota through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and AARP Tax-Aide programs. Act quickly as many sites book up as the filing deadline approaches. You can visit our website to find free tax preparation sites near you.
  • Choose a tax preparer carefully. If you’re using a professional tax preparer to do your taxes, take the time to ask about their training, their history preparing taxes, and their affiliations with various tax professional organizations. Learn more about choosing a preparer on our website.

Need more time to file?

  • You automatically have until October 15 to file before we charge a late filing penalty. You do not have to submit a separate form requesting extra time to file your Minnesota individual income tax return. This is for filing only. To avoid other penalties and interest, you must pay any tax owed by the April 15 due date and file your return by October 16.
  • Note: You can request a filing extension for your federal income taxes on the Internal Revenue Service website

What should you do after filing?

  • Track Your Refund. We process most returns within 21 days of the return being accepted. However, some returns may take longer to review. You can track your refund and find out whether you need to take any action to allow us to complete processing your refund by using our Where’s My Refund? system. 
  • Beware of scammers. Tax time is a busy time for scammers and criminals. They’ll use phone calls, text messages, and emails often purporting to be the IRS or Department of Revenue asking for personal and financial information. Use caution and never provide personal information unless you are absolutely sure the situation is legitimate. Contact us if you are concerned about potentially fraudulent contact
  • If you move after filing your return, contact us right away. That way anything sent to you will reach you, such as refund checks or requests for more information. You must do this even when requesting a direct deposit. Call us at 651-296-3781 or 1-800-652-9094 (toll-free) to change your address. 

Get the latest news and updates from the Minnesota Department of Revenue by following the department on FacebookInstagram, and on X (formerly Twitter) or by signing up for our email subscription list.

Media Contact: Ryan Brown