Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 4/12/2019

Renter’s Property Tax Refund

As a renter, you may qualify for the Renter’s Property Tax Refund. The refund is based on your household income, number of dependents, and how much property tax you paid through rent on your principal residence. For this refund, 17 percent of the rent you paid in 2018 is considered your property tax paid.

Note: Before claiming this refund, review Schedule M1NC, Federal Adjustments, and determine if you must file this schedule. For more information, see Federal Adjustments.

Do I qualify for this refund?

To qualify, all of the following must be true:

  • You are a Minnesota resident, or you are not a Minnesota resident but spent more than 183 days in the state.
  • You cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s federal tax return.
  • Your household income for 2018 was less than $61,320.
  • You lived in a building where the owner was assessed property taxes or made “payments in lieu of property taxes.” If you are unsure if either of these are true, contact the property owner.

Special Renter Situations

See "Filing Situations for Renters" in the instructions for Form M1PR, Homestead Credit Refund (for Homeowners) and Renter's Property Tax Refund, if any of the following are true:
  • You were a part-year Minnesota resident.
  • You were married, separated, or divorced during the year.
  • You lived with a roommate.
  • You were both a renter and a homeowner during the year.
  • You owned a mobile home and paid lot rent.
  • You lived in a nursing home, adult foster care, intermediate care, assisted living, or a group home.
  • You rented out part of your home or used it for business.
  • You paid rent for more than one unit for the same months.

How do I claim the refund?

Complete Form M1PR. For more information on filing options, see Filing for the Renter's Property Tax Refund. You will need a completed Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP) from your landlord. You must include your CRP with your return.

When do I receive a Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP)?

Your landlord must give you a completed CRP no later than Jan. 31. The CRP shows how much rent you paid during the previous year and the amount of property taxes paid through your rent. You must include a CRP when filing your Property Tax Refund return.
Your landlord is required to give each unmarried renter living in a unit (roommate) a separate CRP showing that each person paid an equal portion of the rent. This is true regardless of the portion actually paid or whose names are on the lease.
Note: Your landlord should not divide the rent you paid between you and your dependents. If your CRP divided the rent, include the amounts from the CRPs your dependents received on line 9 on Form M1PR.

What if my landlord will not provide a CRP or had provided an incorrect CRP?

You should make every attempt to obtain a CRP from your landlord or have them make corrections. If your landlord refuses to provide or correct a CRP by March 1, you may request a Rent Paid Affidavit (RPA) from the Minnesota Department of Revenue.
When you file for the refund with an RPA, you cannot file Form M1PR electronically and must include receipts or canceled checks as proof of rent paid. If you request an RPA from us, you must file by paper even if you later receive a CRP from your landlord. This may delay processing of your return.

How do I get an RPA from the department?

Email, or call 651-296-3781 or 1-800-652-9094 (toll-free). You must provide us all of the following when you call or email us:
  • Your name, current address, and daytime phone number
  • Your Social Security number (if you email, only provide the last four digits)
  • Your spouse’s name and Social Security number (if you email, only provide the last four digits)
  • Your landlord’s name, address, and phone number
  • Your rental unit address and the county where it’s located
  • The number of renters in the unit, dates it was rented, and amount of rent paid each month
  • If you receive rent subsidies (Section 8 or other rental assistance programs)
  • If the rental unit is an assisted living facility