Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 12/10/2018

Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP): Information for Landlords

If you own a rental property and rent living space to someone, you or your managing agent must provide a Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP) to each renter if either of the following are true:

  • Property tax was payable in 2018 on the property.
  • You were not required to pay property tax, but you made payments in lieu of property taxes.

If your property is tax-exempt and you did not make payments in lieu of property taxes, do not provide CRPs to your renters.

For more information, see Landlord Instructions for Form CRP.

When do I need to provide CRPs to my renters?

You must give each renter a CRP by Jan. 31, 2019. Renters need the CRP to apply for the Minnesota Homestead Credit Refund (for Homeowners) and Renter's Property Tax Refund.

Can I use software to generate multiple CRPs?

Yes. For a list of certified software products, see Software for Generating CRP Forms.