Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 4/16/2019

Political Contribution Refund

You may qualify for a refund for your political contributions made to Minnesota political parties and candidates for state offices.

You can request a Political Contribution Refund if you contribute money to:  

  • Qualified candidates for:
    • Minnesota Legislature (state House or Senate)
    • Minnesota governor, lieutenant governor, attorney general
    • Minnesota secretary of state
    • Minnesota state auditor
  • Qualified Minnesota political parties 

For a list of requirements and qualified Minnesota political parties, see the instructions for Form PCR, Political Contribution Refund Application

Note: You can only request one refund for each calendar year you made contributions. Your request may include contributions you made to more than one candidate or party. 

What contributions qualify for a refund?

Your contributions qualify if you made them to eligible state candidates or political parties on any of the following dates:

  • January 1 - December 31, 2019

Candidates must sign the public subsidy agreement before you make a refund claim. If you make your claim before the candidate has signed the agreement, the Minnesota Department of Revenue will deny your claim.  

Note: You are allowed only one claim per year, whether we approve or deny your claim. If we deny your claim, you have the right to appeal within 60 days. Submitting a new receipt for a denied claim is not sufficient.

How much is the refund?

The refund is the amount of your contributions up to $50 for individuals or $100 for married couples (if you file a joint Political Contribution Refund application).

How do I request a refund?

Send your completed form to us. You must also include copies of the receipts you received for contributions claimed on your application. We can only accept Form EP-3 receipts that you received from a qualified candidate or political party as proof of your contributions.   

When can I apply?

You can apply for a refund any time after making your contributions but no later than the following deadlines:

  • For 2019 contributions, you must apply by April 15, 2020.