Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 4/10/2018

Filing Extensions

The Minnesota Department of Revenue has an extension for filing if you cannot file your Minnesota income tax return by the regular due date. You do not have to submit a separate form to request an extension.
Note: The regular due date for filing and paying Minnesota income tax is April 15. If April 15 falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, we must receive your return and payment by the next business day.

Am I allowed an extension to file?

Yes. You are allowed until October 15 before we charge a late filing penalty.

This extension is for filing only. To avoid other penalties and interest, you must pay any tax owed by the regular due date and file your return by October 15. For more information, see Due Dates for Filing Individual Income Tax and Penalties and Interest.

Military Filing Extensions

The extension rules for military personnel may differ. For more information, see Filing Extensions for Military Service Members.

Am I allowed an extension to pay?

No. We will charge penalties and interest on any unpaid balance after the regular due date. However, we will not charge a late payment penalty if you do both of the following:
  • Pay at least 90 percent of your tax by the regular due date.
  • File your return and pay your remaining tax by October 15.
If you cannot pay what you owe, you should pay as much as you can by the regular due date to reduce penalties and interest.

What if I cannot file my return on time and expect to owe Minnesota income tax?

You can avoid or reduce penalties by estimating how much tax you owe and paying that amount by the regular due date.

How can I pay Minnesota income tax?

  • Pay through our e-Services Payment System - It’s secure, easy, and convenient. You can make your payment today or schedule it for a future date. When entering Type of Payment, select Extension.
  • Pay by credit or debit card - Value Payment Systems LLC processes one-time credit and debit card payments. They charge a convenience fee for this service.
  • Pay by check or money order - Create and print a payment voucher to include with your check or money order. Make your check payable to Minnesota Revenue and include the last four digits of your Social Security number in the memo line.