Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 12/20/2018

Choosing a Tax Preparer

Contact Us

Individual Income Tax

8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Mon.- Fri.


Top FAQs

Related Information

About This Page

It is important to find a tax preparer with the knowledge and experience to prepare your returns correctly. 
The Minnesota Department of Revenue does not require tax preparers to be licensed. However, we do expect them to follow standards of ethics and conduct. When they do not, we may take action.

To find a current list of:

Whether or not a preparer is on one of these lists, you are ultimately responsible for your tax return. Be sure to choose a preparer carefully.

To find preparers with professional credentials or other qualifications recognized by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), see the IRS Directory of Federal Tax Return Preparers.

Before you hire a preparer, take the time to ask these questions:

  • What kind of formal tax training do you have?
  • Do you hold any professional licenses or designations, such as certified public accountant (CPA), enrolled agent (EA), registered accounting practitioner (RAP), accredited tax advisor (ATA), or accredited tax preparer (ATP)?
  • Do you belong to any professional organizations?
  • Do you take continuing professional education classes each year?
  • How long have you been preparing tax returns?
  • Have you ever done a tax return dealing with my situation?
  • Can I contact you year-round?
  • Have you ever been disciplined by any organization or governmental authority?
  • Will you represent me if I’m audited by the IRS or the Minnesota Department of Revenue?
  • How much do you charge and how do you calculate your fees? 

Other things to consider

  • Be careful of tax preparers who claim to know “the secrets” of obtaining unusually large refunds.
  • Be cautious if someone charges fees based on a percentage of your refund.
  • Never sign a blank tax form, even for your preparer.

Choosing a Preparer Handouts

How to Choose a Tax Preparer

Eligiendo un Preparador de Impuesto

Koj Yuav Xaiv Ib Tug Neeg Ua Se Rau Koj Li Cas

Saad Udooran Laheed Canshuur Xareeye

How do I report an unprofessional preparer to the department?

Contact us at, or call 651-296-3781 or 1-800-652-9094 (toll-free).

Tax Preparer Organizations 

For information on Minnesota tax preparer organizations and standards, visit the following websites:
For information on national tax preparer organizations and standards, visit the IRS website.