Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 4/4/2018

Third-party Bulk Filers

A third-party bulk filer – also known as a payroll service provider – is a person or company who has custody or control over another employer's funds for the purpose of filing returns and depositing withholding tax.

What do I need to do as a third-party bulk filer?

You must:

  • Register with the Minnesota Department of Revenue as a third-party bulk filer.
  • File and pay electronically on behalf of your clients.
  • Update your client list at least monthly.

How do I file and pay on behalf of my clients?

Use your own login information to log into e-Services and add clients to your client list. You can perform the following tasks in e-Services:

  • View and update your client list.
  •  File withholding tax returns for clients using the appropriate file format. For more information, see Withholding Tax File Formats.
  •  Make payments for clients. You can make payments one at a time or by uploading a payment file. For more information on payment file formats, see Payment File Formats.
Note: You cannot see clients’ account balances or other detailed account information unless you request and are granted third-party access.

For more information, see Withholding Tax Fact Sheet 5 – Third-Party Bulk Filers.