Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 12/19/2018

Form W-4MN, Minnesota Withholding Allowance/Exemption Certificate

Form W-4MN, Minnesota Employee Withholding Allowance/Exemption Certificate, is the Minnesota equivalent of federal Form W-4. Your employees may need to complete Form W-4MN in addition to Form W-4. Also, you may need to submit Forms W-4MN to the Minnesota Department of Revenue.

When do my employees need to complete Form W-4MN?

Your employee must provide you a completed Form W-4MN if any of the following apply:
  • They choose to claim fewer Minnesota withholding allowances than for federal purposes.
  • They claim more than 10 Minnesota withholding allowances
  • They want additional Minnesota withholding deducted for each pay period.
  • They claim to be exempt from Minnesota income tax withholding. In this case, you must have your employee complete Form W-4MN each year.
If your employee claims 10 or fewer allowances and does not provide you Form W-4MN, determine their Minnesota withholding using the number of allowances reported on Form W-4.

Do I need to verify the number of allowances my employees claim?

No. You should honor each Form W-4 and W-4MN unless we instruct you differently.

Do I need to send copies of Forms W-4MN to the department?

You must send copies of Forms W-4MN to us if any of the following apply:

  • Your employee claims more than 10 Minnesota withholding allowances.
  • Your employee claims to be exempt from Minnesota withholding and you reasonably expect the wages to exceed $200 per week. However, do not send us Forms W-4MN from Michigan and North Dakota residents who provided you Form MWR.
  • You believe your employee is not entitled to the number of allowances claimed.
Send Forms W-4MN to the address on the form.
Note: There is a $50 penalty for each Form W-4MN not sent to us when required.