Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 12/17/2018

Historic Structure Rehabilitation Credit

Contact Us

Corporate Franchise Tax

8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Mon.- Fri.


Top FAQs

  • No Top FAQs for this page
see all

Related Information

About This Page

If you’re eligible for a federal historic rehabilitation credit for improving a historic structure in Minnesota, you can also claim the Minnesota Historic Rehabilitation Credit.

The credit amount is equal to your federal credit and can be taken against your income, franchise or insurance tax. The Minnesota credit is refundable and can also be transferred. The credit is claimed in the year the renovated building is placed in service.

To qualify, the project developer must apply for certification to the Minnesota Historical Society’s State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) before starting the project. SHPO will issue a credit certificate once the project is done. For more information about the application process, see the SHPO website.

The credit is available for projects that SHPO certifies before July 1, 2021.

Claiming the Credit

If you have a credit certificate from SHPO include a copy when you file Form M4, Corporation Franchise Tax.

If you received the credit through a partnership you’ll receive your share of the credit on Schedule KPC. Include a copy of that schedule when you file Form M4.

About the Federal Credit

For more information about the federal rehabilitation credit: