What we do
We respond to all requests for help. We listen to your problem, examine your situation, check department records and discuss your complaint with you. If you need a person to assist you, or if the department is being unresponsive, we can step in to help. Sometimes the help might be simply to connect you with the right person in the department's appropriate division.
The advocate helps:
The advocate cannot:
- change Minnesota tax law for individual situations;
- interfere with normal processing systems unless a documented hardship situation exists;
- change time limits for filing, payment or refunds;
- act as legal counsel for individual situations; or
- help you with your federal income tax or taxes you pay to other states (but we will give you names of people at those agencies who can help).