January 13, 2011
Welcome to the filing season for the 2010 tax year!
- The Minnesota Department of Revenue will begin accepting 2010 individual income tax returns on January 14, 2011. Please note that we will only accept returns that have first been accepted by the IRS. If you need to delay filing your client’s federal return (see the IRS website at http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=233910,00.html), you must also delay filing their Minnesota return. This also includes paper-filed returns.
- If you expect to file more than 10 returns for 2010, you are required to electronically file your clients’ individual income tax returns to Minnesota, or be subject to the paper-filing fee. For details, see Income Tax Fact Sheet 17, Preparer’s Paper-Filing Fee, at http://taxes.state.mn.us/tax_preparers/pages/other_supporting_content_inctaxfs17.aspx.
- To e-file returns to the department, you must first be an authorized IRS e-file provider (see the IRS website at http://www.irs.gov/taxpros/providers/article/0,,id=222533,00.html). Authorized IRS e-file providers with a Minnesota address will be enrolled automatically into Minnesota’s e-file program. No further steps are needed.
- Approved online tax software products will be listed on our website as they become available:
- The 2010 individual income tax forms, including “What’s new for individuals” are available at http://taxes.state.mn.us/individ/pages/forms.aspx.
- For easy access to the information provided in this newsletter, plus much more, bookmark the “Quick Start for Tax Preparers” web page at http://taxes.state.mn.us/tax_preparers/pages/index.aspx.