Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 12/1/2017

Certified Minnesota Assessor (CMA)

> Return to Licensing

If you help a local or county assessor make decisions about property values, classification, or tax exemptions, you must get a Certified Minnesota Assessor (CMA) license within three years of being hired. During that time, you may work only under the supervision of a licensed assessor.

  • CMA Requirements - Learn about required courses and work experience to get a Certified Minnesota Assessor license.

  • CMA Application - Complete this application online, print, and mail to the Minnesota State Board of Assessors.

Types of CMA License

There are two levels of Certified Minnesota Assessor license: CMA and CMA-IQ (Income Qualified). CMA-IQs complete additional courses and may appraise commercial properties. See the table below for details. 

Type of License


Certified Minnesota Assessor (CMA)

  • ​May classify any type of property
  • May appraise only non-commercial property:
    • Agricultural
    • Residential (including mobile homes)
    • Seasonal recreational (cabins)
    • Vacant land
  • Cannot appraise income-producing (commercial) property
  • Must complete minimum CMA requirements

Certified Minnesota Assessor-Income Qualified (CMA-IQ)

  • May perform any of the CMA duties (above)
  • May appraise income-producing (commercial) property
  • Must complete two board-approved income courses in addition to the minimum CMA requirements

Note: The Assessor Accreditation law was changed during the 2017 legislative session. This change affects assessors who are  now licensed as a Certified Minnesota Assessor or Assessor Specialist (CMA or CMAS). For details, see Assessor Accreditation Deadline.