Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 9/4/2018

Nonresident Aliens and the Homestead Credit Refund (for Homeowners) and Renter's Property Tax Refund

If you are a nonresident alien in Minnesota who owns a home or rents a property, you may apply for a refund of property taxes paid on your principal residence in Minnesota. You claim this refund by filing Form M1PR, Homestead Credit Refund (for Homeowners) and Renter's Property Tax Refund.

Do I qualify for this refund?

To qualify:
  • You must have spent 183 days in Minnesota during the year.
  • You could not be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s federal income tax return.
  • The property must have been assessed property taxes or payments must have been made in lieu of property taxes.
  • Your household income must be below a certain amount.

What is household income?

Household income is generally your taxable and nontaxable income from all sources. You must include nontaxable scholarships, tuition assistance, tuition waivers, income excluded federally due to treaty benefits, and other nontaxable income. For more information, see the instructions for Form M1PR (line 5).
Note: You may claim a dependent subtraction on line 7 of Form M1PR if your dependent is a U.S. citizen or resident or you are allowed a dependent exemption by treaty.

What if I do not have a valid Social Security number?

You may qualify for the refund as a renter, but you do not qualify as a homeowner.

How do I claim the refund?

For more information on your filing options, see: