The Department of Revenue uses scanning equipment to process paper returns. To ensure that your return is processed quickly and accurately, it’s important you carefully follow the instructions and complete the steps below.
Paper Return Choices
Filing a paper Form M1PR that you complete on the screen and print out.
Download the onscreen version of Form M1PR, Homestead Credit Refund (for Homeowners) and Renter's Property Tax Refund. To complete the form, click the cursor in the appropriate area and type in your information. In addition,
- Use the Tab key to move from field to field on the form.
- To mark an “X” in an oval box, click inside the oval.
- To indicate a negative number, use the minus sign. When you use a minus sign, an “X” will automatically appear in the designated box.
- When you print your completed return, make sure that "Auto-rotate” and “center pages" is checked in the print options. DO NOT check the "Shrink to fit" or "Expand to fit" boxes. If these boxes are already checked, click on them to uncheck.
Filing a paper Form M1PR that you print out from your computer and then complete by hand.
Download Form M1PR when filling out the form, use black ink. Do not highlight numbers, as this prevents our scanning equipment from reading the numbers. Use CAPITAL letters when entering your name and address.
Filing an original paper form (with pink boxes)
Follow the instructions on page 8 of the Homestead Credit Refund (for Homeowners) and Renter's Property Tax Refund booklet.
Note: For all of the above options, be sure you do all of the following:
- Use whole dollar amounts.
- Leave lines blank if they don’t apply to you or if the amount is zero.
- Sign and date your return. (Your spouse must also sign if you are married and filing a joint return).
- Behind your Form M1PR include a copy of your Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP) if you are a renter.
- Do not use staples on your return. If you want to ensure that your papers stay together, use a paper clip.
Where to mail your Homestead Credit Refund (for Homeowners) and Renter's Property Tax Refund return
Mail your return, with any required documentation, in the printed envelope included in the Minnesota Individual Income Tax booklet.
If you don't have the printed envelope, mail your return to:
Minnesota Individual Income Tax
Mail Station 0020
St. Paul, MN 55145-0020
Be sure to include enough postage to avoid having your forms returned to you by the U.S. Postal Service. You’ll probably need additional postage if you enclose more than three sheets of paper.
For information on when you must mail your return, see Homestead Credit Refund (for Homeowners) and Renter's Property Tax Refund Filing Due Date.