Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 12/29/2017

Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP): Information for Landlords

All rental property owners, managers or operators must provide a Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP) to each person who rented from them during the previous year unless the property is tax-exempt.

You must give each renter a CRP by Jan. 31, 2018 if:

  • property tax was payable in 2017 on the property, or
  • you were not required to pay property tax but you made “payments in lieu of property taxes”

For more information, see 2017 Landlord Instructions for CRP, Certificate of Rent Paid.

Renters need the CRP to apply for the state Homestead Credit Refund (for Homeowners) and Renter's Property Tax Refund (“renter’s refund”).

If you have a lot of renters, you may prefer to use a software product to generate CRPs or to produce your own. For more information:

View a list of CRP software products.

For more information on requirements, see Software Providers or Design Specifications.