Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 7/9/2018

Your Individual Income Tax and Homestead Credit Refund (for Homeowners) and Renter's Property Tax Refund

If you are waiting for a refund and want to know its status:

How can I receive my refund?

You can choose to get your Minnesota income tax refund or property tax refund by direct deposit or check.

Receiving a refund by direct deposit

You can have your refund directly deposited into your bank account. Direct deposit is an easy, convenient, and secure way to get your refund. For more information, see Direct Deposit.
Note: If you close your account, we cannot change your banking information on your return. If your direct deposit fails because you closed your account, the Minnesota Department of Revenue will send you a paper check.

Receiving a refund by check

If you choose to get your refund by check and your address changes, contact us as soon as possible to avoid delays. If we already mailed your check, it will be forwarded to you if you reported your address change to the U.S. Postal Service.

Do refund checks expire?

Income tax refund checks are valid for two years. If you have an expired income tax refund check, mail it along with a written request to reissue it to:
Minnesota Revenue
Mail Station 4110
St. Paul, Minnesota 55146-4110
Property tax refund checks are also valid for two years. If you have an expired property tax refund check, we cannot reissue it. The only exception is if you can prove that circumstances beyond your control (“reasonable cause”) prevented you from depositing or cashing your refund check.
If you can show reasonable cause, you may ask us to reissue your property tax refund check for up to five years after the original check date. Send your request letter and documentation proving reasonable cause to the address listed above.
For more information, see Minnesota Statute 290A.18.

Can the department use my refund to pay debts?

Yes. However, see “Nonliable Spouse” below.

Nonliable Spouse

If you filed a joint income tax or property tax refund return and the refund was taken to pay your spouse’s debt, you may ask for a part of the refund back, provided you were not party to the original debt. You must contact the Department’s Collection Division or the other state agency (if listed) within 18 months to get your refund divided.
​     If your spouse’s debt was from:                             ​Then:
     ​A prior year income or business tax debt                   ​Contact the department at 651-556-3003
​     Another public agency                                                ​Contact the agency
​     Federal tax debt                                                          ​Contact the IRS
     ​Federal non-tax debt                                                   ​Contact the department at 651-556-3003
For more information, see Revenue Recapture.

What if I need help due to a significant financial hardship?