Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 12/21/2017

How do I get a copy of a missing W-2

If you don’t receive a Form W-2 or Form 1099-R from your employer by January 31 – or if your information is wrong on the form – contact your employer.

If you do not receive the missing or corrected form by February 15, contact the IRS. (For more information, see Topic 154 on the IRS website.)

In some cases, the IRS may issue a substitute W-2 or 1099-R. However, the substitute form won’t include any state withholding information.

When filing your Minnesota tax return:

  • You must complete and include Schedule M1W, Minnesota Income Tax Withheld.
  • For state withholding information, refer to your final “year-to-date” paycheck stub or, if you don’t have one, contact us for the information at 651-296-3781.
  • If don’t have or can’t get your employer’s Minnesota tax ID number, contact us at 651-296-3781.
  • Be sure to keep all supporting documentation for your records in case there are questions about your tax return.