Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 4/19/2017

Free Tax Preparation Sites

¿Califico yo para ayuda gratuita de preparación de impuestos? (Spanish) 
Chaw Pab Ua Se Pub Dawb (Hmong)
Yaa u qalma canshuur xereynta bilaashka ah? (Somali)

Do I qualify for free tax preparation?

You may qualify for free tax preparation at various locations across Minnesota. You can generally get help at a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site if any of the following are true:

  • You are age 60 or older
  • You are a person with a disability
  • You speak limited or no English
  • Your annual income is less than $54,000

In addition, the AARP Tax-Aide program offers free tax preparation for all taxpayers, particularly those who are age 50 or older. AARP Tax-Aide sites do not have income or age restrictions.

Both programs will only prepare basic returns.

When is free tax preparation available?

Note: We will be updating this search to include summer locations and hours over the new few weeks. Please check back.


What should I bring with me?

You should bring any statements, forms, receipts, or other documentation of your income, tax-deductible expenses, and property tax or rental payments you made. The list below includes the records most often needed. You may disregard any that do not apply.
Printable PDFs


  • Photo identification
  • Social Security cards (or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) card or letter) for you, your spouse, and all dependents listed on your return
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse, and all dependents listed on your return
  • Last year's tax returns
  • If you wish to use the direct deposit/direct debit option, be sure to bring your checkbook with you to verify your bank account and routing information.
  • Income statements or forms:
      • Wages from each job (Form W-2)
      • Interest (Form 1099-INT)
      • Dividends (Form 1099-DIV)
      • Sale of stock (Form 1099-B)
      • Retirement plans (Form 1099-R)
      • Gambling winnings (Form W-2G)
      • Unemployment (Form 1099-G)
      • Social Security benefits (Form SSA)
      • Miscellaneous income (1099-MISC)
      • Any other statements showing income from other sources (such as: Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP), Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA), General Assistance (GA), veterans benefits, workers’ compensation)

If applicable, also bring:

  • Tuition expenses for university, college or technical college (Form 1098-T) 
  • Interest statements for student loans (Form 1098-E)
  • IRA contributions
  • Records of any itemized expenses you may wish to deduct, such as:
      • Out-of-pocket medical expenses
      • Noncash donations
      • Cash donations
      • Vehicle license tabs
      • Property taxes paid
      • Job-related moving expenses
      • Mortgage interest paid (Form 1098)
      • Tax preparation fees
      • Uniform costs
  • Daycare expenses. For each provider you paid, you must provide the name, address, amount paid, and Social Security number (SSN) or Employer Identification Number (EIN).
  • Receipts for education expenses you paid for your children in grades K-12, such as:
      • Educational software
      • Private school tuition or tutoring
      • Academic books/materials
      • Music lessons and music equipment purchases or rentals
      • Tuition for academic summer camp
      • Instructor fees for drivers education
      • School supplies (pencils, notebooks, etc.) 
  • Property Tax Refund documents
      • Renters: Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP) from your landlord 
      • Homeowners: Statement of Property Tax Payable mailed by the county in March