Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 12/21/2017

Credit for Past Military Service

If you are a veteran of the U.S. military, including the National Guard and Reserves, you may qualify for a tax credit of up to $750 for your past service.
 To qualify, you must have separated from military service before the end of the year and one of the following must be true:
  • You served at least 20 years in the military,
  • You have a service-connected disability rating of 100% total and permanent (as rated by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs), or
  • (Beginning with tax year 2013) You were honorably discharged and you receive a pension or other retirement pay for service in the military.
To determine the amount of your credit, complete the worksheet for Schedule M1C, Other Nonrefundable Credits.
If you are a part-year resident of Minnesota or a nonresident, you may still qualify for the credit. When completing the worksheet for Schedule M1C, use your percentage of Minnesota income from Schedule M1NR, Nonresidents/Part-Year Residents.