Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 4/25/2018

Wage Levy Information for Employers

We may issue a wage levy to collect part of an employee's wages to pay a debt. The law allows us to take up to 25 percent of the employee's disposable wages. If we send you a wage levy notice, you are required to respond.

Wage Levy Disclosure

A wage levy disclosure is an online form that determines how much to withhold from an employee's wages. You must electronically complete a disclosure even if the employee is laid off, on a leave of absence, or no longer works for you.

You must submit an electronic disclosure within 10 days after the pay period ends. If wages vary from one pay period to the next, you must submit an additional disclosure each time wages change.

You must submit wage levy disclosures using our e-Services system. For details, refer to our levy notice or view Submitting Levy Disclosures and Payments.

Wage Levy Payments

You must submit wage levy payments using our e-Services system or by ACH credit (requesting a bill payment through your bank). Payments must continue until we release (stop) the levy. See "Releasing a Levy" below for more information.

Levy Setoffs

A setoff is when part of your employee's wages are taken from their paycheck and applied to a loan. If an employee is repaying a loan from you, it may take priority and reduce their wage levy payments.  

Your setoff takes priority only if you prove the loan was given to the employee at least 30 days before our wage levy was issued.  Otherwise, our wage levy takes priority. (See Minnesota Statute 270C.69.)

Adverse Interests

Adverse interests are other claims against employee wages (e.g., other levies or garnishments). Adverse interests may reduce the amount our wage levy can take or stop it completely. You must list all adverse interests when completing a wage levy disclosure. (See Minnesota Statute 571.72.)

Releasing a Levy

A wage levy remains in effect until we release (stop) it. You must continue making payments until you receive a levy release notice from us.

Note: If an employee stops working for you, you must submit an Alternate Disclosure when wages are no longer collected.