If you no longer have employees or close your business, you must close the business's Withholding Tax account.
To close the Withholding Tax account:
- Log in to e-Services
- Access your Withholding Tax account.
- From the Registration menu, click “Close Account”.
- Enter the end date.
- Click “Submit” in the navigation bar on the left.
- Click “Ok”.
- The Withholding Tax account should be closed within a few minutes. To view the status of your request, click “Requests” in the dark blue bar.
- When the account has been closed, it will appear on the taxpayer home page as inactive.
Note: You must file a Withholding Tax return for your final quarter and submit to the department any W-2s and 1099s with Minnesota withholding.
To close the business (and all tax types):
- At the taxpayer home page, click "Close Business" in the menu.
- A field will display with the current date. Enter the last day of business into the field if it is different than what is listed.
- Click "Submit" in the navigation bar on the left.
- Click "OK" from the confirmation window.
- Your request will be submitted and processed within 24 hours.
Note: If your business closed more than a year prior, call Registration Services at 651-282-5225. All accounts for this business will be closed. Filing requirements on tax returns are still valid.