Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 3/11/2016

Amend (change) a Return

​If you made an error on a previously filed Withholding Tax return, you must amend (change) your return to correct the error. You must file an amended return for each return requiring a change.

Reasons for Amending a Return:

  • You reported incorrect figures for wages paid

  • You reported an incorrect number of employees

  • You reported an incorrect amount of tax withheld for the period 

If you need to correct a payroll schedule, email your Minnesota tax ID number, the quarter involved, the correct payroll date and amount to:

How to Amend a Return 

If you need to amend the tax withheld, you must do so using e-Services. If you need to amend wages and number of employees, you may do so using e-Services or Tele-file.

Before you submit the amended return, you must enter your name, phone number, and reason for changing your return.

How to Amend a Return Using Tele-file:

  1. Call 1-800-570-3329
  2. Press 1 if you are calling from a touch-tone phone
  3. Press 2 to file or pay a business tax
  4. Enter your Minnesota Tax ID number and password
  5. Press 1 to file a return
  6. Press 1 to file a Withholding Tax return
  7. Press 4 to file an amended return
  8. Follow the prompts

All amended returns are subject to review or audit by the Minnesota Department of Revenue. Keep all supporting documentation from your original and amended return.

If your changes affect the original W-2 and/or 1099 information submitted to the department, you must complete and submit Forms W-2C and/or 1099C. Only paper copies are accepted.

Mail to:

Minnesota Revenue
Mail Station 1173
St. Paul, MN 55146-1173