Before you begin withholding state taxes, you must register for a Minnesota tax ID number. If you fail to register prior to withholding Minnesota taxes, you may be subject to a $100 penalty.
You will need the following information to register for a Minnesota tax ID number:
- Federal Employer ID number (FEIN)
- Your legal name
- Business name or, if applicable, DBA (“doing business as” name)
- Business owner’s name
- Business owner’s Social Security number
- A contact phone number and email address
- NAICS Code (Look up a NAICS number at the U.S. Census Bureau website.)
- Business begin date
For new businesses:
- Go to the Starting a Business tab.
- Choose an option under "Register for a MN Tax ID
- Follow the prompts
- You will receive your Minnesota tax ID immediately.
For existing businesses
If you already have a Minnesota tax ID for a different tax type, you can use the same number for Withholding Tax. To do so:
- Log in to e-Services
- From the Taxpayer Information tab, click “Open New Account”
- Check the Withholding Tax checkbox.
- Click the "Next" button
- Enter the Account Begin Date
- Answer Yes or No from the drop-down menu if you are Registering as a Third-Party Bulk Filer
- Click the "Next" button. The account types you are adding are now listed.
- Click the "Submit" button
- The withholding account should be open within a few minutes. To view the status of your request, click the "History" tab.
Call 651-282-5225 or 1-800-657-3605 (TTY users call 711 for Minnesota Relay).
Download and complete Form ABR, Application for Business Registration and mail to:
Mail Station 4410
St. Paul, MN 55146-4410