Before you begin withholding state taxes, you must register for a Minnesota tax ID number. If you fail to register prior to withholding Minnesota taxes, you may be subject to a $100 penalty.
To register for a Minnesota tax ID number, you will need the following information:
- Federal Employer ID number (FEIN)
- Your legal name
- Business name or, if applicable, DBA (“doing business as” name)
- Business owner’s name
- Business owner’s Social Security number
- A contact phone number and email address
- NAICS Code (Look up a NAICS number at the U.S. Census Bureau website.)
- Business begin date
You may register online, by phone, or mail, as outlined below.
For new businesses:
1. Go to www.revenue.state.mn.us
2. Click on “Starting a Business” under the “For Businesses” tab
3. Click on "Register for a MN Tax ID"
3. Follow the prompts
You will receive your Minnesota tax ID immediately.
For existing businesses: If you already have a Minnesota tax ID for a different tax type, you can use the same number for Withholding Tax. To do so:
1. Log in to e-Services
2. From the Registration menu, click “Open New Account”
3. Check the appropriate checkbox to indicate which tax type you would like to add.
4. Click "OK"
5. Click "Withholding from Employees"
6. Enter the Account Commence Date
7. Click "OK" and the "Step Complete" checkbox will automatically become checked
8. Click "Submit" in the navigation bar on the left
9. Click "OK" in the navigation bar on the left
10. The withholding account should be open within a few minutes. To view the status of your request, click "Requests" in the dark blue bar. Note – if it processes immediately, it will show in the "Search" portion of requests rather than the "Waiting to be processed" area.
Note: You can use this same method to add other account types that appear on the "Add Accounts" page.
Call 651-282-5225 or 1-800-657-3605 (TTY users call 711 for Minnesota Relay).
Download and complete Form ABR, Application for Business Registration.
Mail Station 4410
St. Paul, MN 55146-4410