Before you begin withholding state taxes, you must register for a Minnesota tax ID number. If you fail to register prior to withholding Minnesota taxes, you may be subject to a $100 penalty.
To register for a Minnesota tax ID number, you will need the following information:
- Federal Employer ID number (FEIN)
- Your legal name
- Business name or, if applicable, DBA (“doing business as” name)
- Business owner’s name
- Business owner’s Social Security number
- A contact phone number and email address
- NAICS Code (Look up a NAICS number at the U.S. Census Bureau website.)
- Business begin date
You may register online, by phone, or mail, as outlined below.
For new businesses:
1. Go to www.revenue.state.mn.us
2. Click on “Starting a Business” under the “For Businesses” tab
3. Click on "Register for a MN Tax ID"
3. Follow the prompts
You will receive your Minnesota tax ID immediately.
For existing businesses: If you already have a Minnesota tax ID for a different tax type, you can use the same number for Withholding Tax. To do so:
1. Log in to e-Services
2. From the Taxpayer Information tab, click “Open New Account”
3. Check the Withholding Tax checkbox.
4. Click the "Next" button
5. Enter the Account Begin Date
6. Answer Yes or No from the drop-down menu if you are Registering as a Third-Party Bulk Filer
7. Click the "Next" button. The account types you are adding are now listed.
8. Click the "Submit" button
9. The withholding account should be open within a few minutes. To view the status of your request, click the "History" tab.
Call 651-282-5225 or 1-800-657-3605 (TTY users call 711 for Minnesota Relay).
Download and complete Form ABR, Application for Business Registration.
Mail Station 4410
St. Paul, MN 55146-4410