Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 3/18/2016

Surcharge Information

The Fire Safety Surcharge applies to fire coverages on risks in Minnesota. The surcharge must be separately stated on either a billing or policy declaration, or on another document with similar information sent to the insured.

Who Must File

All property and casualty insurance companies that are licensed to write fire, homeowners or commercial multi-peril non-liability insurance must report the Fire Safety Surcharge. If you carry a license with Clause 1 from the Minnesota Department of Commerce, you must file a return even if you write no business in the tax period.

Due Dates

Quarterly surcharge returns and payments are due as follows:

  • May 15 (for the Jan. 1-March 31 period)
  • Aug. 15 (for the April 1-June 30 period)
  • Nov. 15 (for the July 1-Sept. 30 period)
  • Feb. 15 (for the Oct. 1-Dec. 31 period)

Filing and Payment

This surcharge can only be filed by paper. If you are required to report the surcharge:

You must file Form IG261, Fire Safety Surcharge, if you are:

  • a stock insurance company; or
  • a mutual insurance company that had assets greater than $1.6 billion on Dec. 31, 1989.

You may file Form IG261 or Form IG262, Fire Safety Surcharge for Mutual Companies, if you are:

  • a mutual insurance company with less than $5 million in assets for the current year or
  • a mutual insurance company with less than $1.6 billion in assets on Dec. 31, 1989.
  • If you qualify to file either form, you must file the same way for an entire calendar year.

You may pay electronically through our e-Services system or by check. To pay by check, use our e-Services Payment Voucher System to create and print the payment voucher you need to mail with your check or money order payments.

Tax Rates

When filed on Form IG261, the surcharge is 0.65 percent (0.5 percent beginning July 1, 2013) of fire, homeowners and commercial multi-peril non-liability insurance premiums. When filed on Form IG262, the surcharge is 0.5 percent of premiums attributable to fire and sprinkler-leakage premiums. Proportional finance and service charges should be included as part of the premiums when filed on either form.