What you need
Making a payment with e-File Minnesota is safe and easy. To make a corporation franchise tax payment, you will need a touch-tone phone and the corporation’s:
- Seven-digit Minnesota tax ID number
- Period (tax year) end date
- Amount of payment
- Banking information
Call 1-800-570-3329 any time, 24 hours a day, to access e-File Minnesota, the department’s paying and filing system. Follow the prompts to make a business tax payment. You may hang up at any time before receiving a confirmation number and the information you have entered will not be saved.
If you have questions, call 651-556-3075 weekdays from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Central Time or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may want to print the following instructions for reference.
- Press 1 to indicate you are using a touch-tone phone
- Press 2 to indicate you are paying a business tax
Enter your seven-digit Minnesota tax ID number.Step 3
Enter your password followed by the pound (#) key. Note:
If you’re using the system for the first time and you need a temporary password, call our Registration Services office at 651-282-5225 or 1-800-657-3605. Step 4
Press 2 to make a payment.Step 5
- Press 1 if you are making a payment for your own business
- Press 2 if you are a preparer making a payment for a client
Select corporate franchise tax.Step 7
- To make a quarterly estimated tax payment, press 1.
- To make a payment for the balance due on a corporation franchise tax return (Form M4), press 2.
- To make a franchise tax extension payment, press 3.
- To make a payment for the balance due on an amended franchise tax return (Form M4X), press 4.
- To make a payment on a Minnesota tax bill, press 5.
Enter the period (tax year) end date for which you are making the payment using two digits for the month and four digits for the year. For example, if you are making a payment for the tax year July 1, 2008 to June 30, 2009, enter “062009.”Note:
Estimated tax payments may only be made during the tax year for which they apply. For example, if your tax year ends Sept. 30, 2009, estimated payments may be made from Oct. 1, 2008 to Sept. 30, 2009. Extension payments may be made up to the regular due date of your corporation franchise tax return.Step 9
Enter the amount of your payment, including the cents, followed by the # key (e.g., enter one hundred dollars as 10000#). Step 10
If you previously made a corporation franchise tax payment using the phone system:
- Press 1 to use the same banking information.
- Press 2 to enter new banking information.
- Press 3 to hear your banking information currently on file.
If this is your first corporation franchise tax payment:
- Enter your nine-digit bank routing number.
- Enter your account number.
Please note: Sometimes these two numbers are reversed.
The bank routing number is always a nine-digit number.
- Enter the account type (press 1 for checking; press 2 for savings)
- To have your payment withdrawn today, press 1.
- To specify a later date, press 2 and enter the date you want the payment withdrawn. Use two digits for the month, two digits for the day and four digits for the year (e.g., enter Sept. 15, 2009, as 09152009). The payment date cannot be a weekend or holiday.
If you select the due date as the payment date, the payment is considered on time. If you select a date after the due date, you may be billed for late payment penalties or interest. Step 12
Verify the information you have entered.
- If the information is correct, press 1 to authorize the payment.
- If the information is incorrect, press 2 and enter the correct information.
You will be given a confirmation number and the time and date filed. Write down this information and keep it with your records. This information is for your records only. Do not mail a payment voucher to the department. When you make your payment electronically, discard any payment voucher you may have for the period. Note:
You may cancel your payment up to one day prior to the scheduled payment date. To cancel, call the phone number and during the second part of Step 1, press 4 to cancel a business payment. You will need your confirmation number.