What you will need
Making a payment is safe and easy. To make a cigarette tax payment, you will need a touch-tone phone and the corporation’s:
- Seven-digit Minnesota tax ID number
- Period (year) end date
- Location code
- Amount of payment
- Banking information
Call 1-800-570-3329 anytime, 24 hours a day, to access the department’s filing and payment system. Follow the prompts to make a business tax payment. If you have questions, call 651-556-3035 weekdays from 7:30 am to 4:00 pm Central Time.
Note: If you hang up before receiving a confirmation number, the information you entered will not be saved.
- Press 1 to indicate you are using a touch-tone phone
- Press 2 to indicate you are paying a business tax
Enter your seven-digit Minnesota tax ID number.
Enter your password followed by the pound (#) key. The first time you use the system, you will be asked for a temporary password to confirm your identify and set up your account. If you do not know your temporary password, call Registration Services at 651-282-5225.
Press 2 to make a payment.
- Press 1 if you are making a payment for your own business
- Press 2 if you are a preparer making a payment for a client
Choose “Cigarette tax” from the list of options..
Enter your three-digit location code.
Press 1 to make a return payment.
Enter the period (tax year) end date for which you are making the payment using two digits for the month and four digits for the year. For example, if you are making a payment for the tax year July 1, 2004 to June 30, 2005, enter “062005.”
Enter the amount of your payment including the cents followed by the # key (e.g., enter one hundred dollars as 10000#).
If you previously made a cigarette tax payment using the phone system:
- Press 1 to use the same banking information.
- Press 2 to enter new banking information.
- Press 3 to hear your banking information currently on file.
If this is your first cigarette tax payment:
- Enter your nine-digit bank routing number (see sample below).
- Enter your account number.
Please note: Sometimes these two numbers are reversed.
The bank routing number is always a nine-digit number.
- Enter the account type (press 1 for checking; press 2 for savings)
- To have your payment withdrawn today, press 1.
- To specify a later date, press 2 and enter the date you want the payment withdrawn. Use two digits for the month, two digits for the day and four digits for the year (e.g., enter Sept.,15, 2004, as 09152004). The payment date cannot be a weekend or holiday.
Note: If you select the due date as the payment date, the payment is considered on time. If you select a date after the due date, you may be billed for late payment penalties or interest.
Verify the information you have entered.
- If the information is correct, press 1 to authorize the payment
- If the information is incorrect, press 2 and enter the correct information
You will be given a confirmation number and the time and date filed. Write down this information and keep it with your records. This information is for your records only. Do not mail a payment voucher to the department. When you make your payment electronically, discard any payment voucher you may have for the period.
You may cancel your payment up to one day prior to the scheduled payment date. To cancel, call the phone number and during the second part of Step 1, press 4 to cancel a business payment. You will need your confirmation number.