Exemptions from Dry Cleaning Fee(s)
The Dry Cleaner Registration Fee, Solvents Fee and Solvents Use Fee apply to most commercial dry cleaning facilities.
However, certain facilities – or sales to those facilities – are exempt from these fees. You do not have to pay the fee(s) or file a return if the dry cleaning facility is:
- A coin-operated dry cleaning operation;
- A facility located on a U.S. military base;
- A uniform service or linen supply facility;
- A prison or other penal institution;
- A facility on the national environmental cleanup list established under the Federal Superfund Act; or
- A facility where an environmental cleanup effort (or “response action”) started before July 1, 1995, unless a settlement was reached with the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency by July 1, 1997.