Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 4/30/2015

Tax Relief When Disaster Strikes

From the Governor's Office

April 23, 2015: Gov. Dayton declared a state of emergency in response to the H5N2 avian influenza outbreak. That means taxpayers in certain Minnesota counties with poultry affected by the H5N2 avian influenza could get help if the outbreak prevented them from filing their returns or paying their taxes on time. For more information, or to request that we to cancel your penalty, call us at 651-556-3003 or 1-800-657-3909. See our press release for more information.


When Disaster Strikes

The Minnesota Department of Revenue will work with individuals and businesses that cannot file or pay their taxes on time due to a natural disaster.

When a disaster happens, we’ll post tax information on our website and notify the news media. To get this information by email, sign up here

If the governor or president declares a disaster or state of emergency, affected taxpayers may qualify for special help. For example, we may:

  • Allow extra time to file or pay your taxes
  • Cancel or reduce penalties and interest charges
  • Work with local officials to provide property tax credits or other relief


Other Helpful Information

Federal Information

Minnesota Information

Lost or Damaged Records

If your records were lost or damaged, you can request copies of your state tax returns. Just complete Form M100, Request for Copy of Tax Return and send it to the department.  Additional information about reconstructing your records is available on the IRS website: