Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 9/7/2017

Tax Fraud

How to Report a Tax Crime

If you suspect someone of breaking state tax laws, call, email or write the department (see “Contact Information” below). You may remain confidential, but it’s helpful to provide your contact information in case we need to ask for clarification or more details.

When you contact us, try to include all the details you know about the suspect and why you believe they are evading taxes. We’ll want to know:
  • The name and address of the suspect (or their business).
  • What makes you believe they are committing a tax crime.
  • How you know about the offense, how long it’s been going on, and how much money is involved.
  • Any details you know about the suspect concealing assets or using unreported income.
  • What records you know about, or have access to, that would show a violation occurred.
  • The name(s) of anyone else who might be able to provide information or confirm your suspicion.
  • Other information about the suspect or their financial accounts or assets, such as date of birth, Social Security or tax ID number, bank account locations or numbers, etc.
To report violations of federal tax laws, contact the Internal Revenue Service at 1-800-829-1040 or go to the IRS website,
Note:  There is no reward for reporting tax crimes. Under state privacy laws, we can’t disclose what, if any, action we take based on information you provide.

Contact Information


Tip Line (voice mail) :

651- 297-5195 or 1-800-657-3500 (24 hours a day)
Call anytime to leave a message.

Mailing Address:

Minnesota Department of Revenue
Criminal Investigation Division
Mail Station 6590
600 North Robert Street
St. Paul, MN 55146-6590

Criminal Investigation Division:

Phone lines open 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. weekdays
Fax: 651-556-3105