Reporting Federal Tax Changes for Fiduciaries


​If the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) makes any change or correction to your federal return, you must notify the Minnesota Department of Revenue within 180 days of the final IRS determination.

You must notify us in one of the following ways:

  • If the IRS adjustments affect your Minnesota return or distributions to beneficiaries, file Form M2X, Amended Return for Estates and Trusts. Mail your Form M2X as directed on the form, and enclose a copy of the IRS report or your amended federal return.
  • If the changes do not affect your Minnesota return or Schedules K-1, mail an explanation letter with a complete copy of your amended federal return or correction notice to the department at:

Minnesota Department of Revenue
Fiduciary Income Tax
Mail Station 5170
600 N. Robert St.
St. Paul, MN 55146-5170

If you do not report federal tax changes within 180 days as outlined above, you are subject to a penalty equal to 10% of any additional tax due.


Contact Info