Sign In
Last Updated: 7/9/2018


Contact Us

Individual Income Tax

8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Mon.- Fri.


Top FAQs

Related Information

About This Page

If you are age 65 or older, your income and lifestyle changes may affect your Minnesota income taxes.

What if I move out of Minnesota or spend part of the year elsewhere?

Your residency for tax purposes may change. Changes in your residency can affect your amount of Minnesota tax, your estimated tax requirements, or your Minnesota filing requirements. For more information, see Residency.

Does Minnesota tax my Social Security income?

Minnesota taxes the same amount of Social Security benefits that is taxed federally. However, you may qualify for a subtraction from Minnesota taxable income if you receive these benefits. For more information, see Social Security Benefit Subtraction.
If your only income is Social Security, you are not required to file an income tax return. If you have questions on whether or not your Social Security is taxable, contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or visit the IRS website.

Does Minnesota tax my pension income?

Minnesota taxes pensions, including federal pensions, received while you are a Minnesota resident regardless of where you earned the pension. However, Minnesota no longer taxes military retirement pay, including pensions, as of tax year 2016.

Does Minnesota offer tax relief for seniors?

Yes. See the table below for common Minnesota subtractions, credits, and programs you may be eligible for:

​  Type of tax relief

​  For details, see these webpages

​  Subtraction from Minnesota income




​  Credit


​  Program


You may also qualify for other subtractions or credits. For more information, see Subtractions and see Credits.

Note: You may need to add certain sources of income back to your Minnesota taxable income. For more information, see Additions.

For more information about tax topics for Seniors, see Income Tax Fact Sheet 6 - Seniors.