Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 5/24/2018

Federal Adjustments

​Since December 16, 2016, federal legislation changes extended or modified tax provisions for tax year 2017. Because of these changes, you may need to complete Schedule M1NC, Federal Adjustments, when filing your 2017 Minnesota income tax return.

Do I need to complete Schedule M1NC?

Complete Schedule M1NC if any of the following occurred during 2017:
  • You had federally deductible medical and dental expenses.
  • You deducted mortgage insurance premiums.
  • You claimed a deduction for tuition and fees.
  • You had home mortgage debt cancelled or forgiven.
  • You claimed bonus depreciation that exceeds 50% of your cost in the asset.
  • You claimed federal bonus deprecation on used assets or on qualified film, television, or theatrical expenses.

You must also complete Schedule M1NC for any of the less common situations below:

  • You claimed the modified treatment of certain qualified film and television expenses.
  • You excluded from your federal income an IRA withdrawal that would have been included in your income if you had not lived in a hurricane zone or California wildfire disaster area at the time.
  • You claimed an enhanced casualty loss deduction for personal property damaged by a hurricane or California wildfire.
  • You contributed to a charitable organization for hurricane or California wildfire relief, and your charitable deduction exceeded certain percentages of your adjusted gross income.
  • You claimed accelerated depreciation for business property on an Indian reservation.
  • You chose the seven-year recovery period for certain motorsport racing track facilities.
  • You elected to expense the cost of certain mine safety equipment.
  • You claimed depreciation on a race horse using a 3-year class life.
  • You claimed a special allowance for second generation biofuel property.

What if I submitted my return without Schedule M1NC?

If you need to complete Schedule M1NC, you must file Form M1X, Amended Minnesota Income Tax, and include the schedule.

What if I submitted my return with Schedule M1NC?

If you did not report any of items above on your original return, you must file Form M1X and include Schedule M1NC.