Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 8/10/2018

Power of Attorney (POA)

Contact Us


8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Mon.- Fri.


Top FAQs

Related Information

About This Page

A power of attorney (POA) is another person - an accountant, attorney, or other eligible adult - who represents you when working with the department. You must give written permission before we can share confidential tax or debt information with that person.  Typically, you do that by filling out and signing Form REV184, Power of Attorney, or checking a box on your tax return.  

Note:  To access a client's e-Services account, a power of attorney must request Third-party Access.

 Forms of Power of Attorney

  • Form REV184, Minnesota Revenue Power of Attorney, allows you to specify what types of information and which periods can be discussed with the POA. You can also grant the POA power to sign tax returns. You can specify an expiration date for the POA.

  • Some tax forms have a box you can check to allow us to discuss the return with a POA such as your tax preparer. Examples include Form M1, Minnesota Income Tax return, and Form M1PR, Minnesota Property Tax Refund.

  • We also accept federal IRS Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative as a valid POA. The form must specifically mention the tax types either by stating the Minnesota Department of Revenue tax form number or “Minnesota” (MN is acceptable) and the specific tax years.

  • Form REV185, Minnesota Revenue Authorization to Release Tax Information, allows a one-time disclosure of information to the specified party. The POA is only allowed to receive information and has no powers to act for you. The authorization expires immediately after the disclosure is made.

  • The Minnesota Statutory Short Form can cover all matters of your financial and personal affairs. The form multiple boxes which can be checked allowing various powers to the POA.. (See Minnesota Statute 523.23.)

Removing a Power of Attorney

You or your POA can remove the power of attorney authorization at any time. This request must be done in writing or by submitting Form REV184 with the Remove box checked.


Without a POA on record, we cannot disclose confidential tax or debt information to anyone but you. An exception to this rule is when we need to disclose tax debt or other agency debt (OAD) with the parent or legal guardians of a minor. Legal guardians need guardianship documents to confirm authority.