Changes to Property Tax Refund


You will receive a Notice of Change if the department makes changes on your Homestead Credit Refund (for Homeowners) and Renter's Property Tax Refund return when processing your Form M1PR. These corrections may adjust the amount of your refund or deny it entirely. Examples of errors include:

  • Incorrectly calculating your “household income"
  • Taking an incorrect subtraction for dependents, seniors or disabled persons
  • Not including your Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP) with your return
  • Entering an amount from the wrong line of your CRP for  “renters’ share of property tax”
  • Misreading the refund tables
  • Using incorrect property tax amount(s) from your county property tax statement
  • Claiming the refund for property that isn’t classified as homestead
  • Claiming the refund if you owe delinquent property tax
  • Incorrectly calculating the special refund for homeowners
The Notice of Change includes a page describing your appeal rights. If you disagree with the changes we’ve made, you may file an appeal and provide documentation to support your position. You have 60 days from the date of your notice to submit your appeal.

Contact Info