Navigate Up
Sign In
Last Updated: 4/20/2015

Amending a Return

If you discover a mistake on a previously filed Sales and Use Tax return, you must amend the return to fix it. You can file an amended return within 3½ years of the due date.

Common Reasons for Amending Your Return Are:

  • You didn't report enough tax on your original return
  • You reported too much tax on your original return
  • You reported the tax on the wrong line of the return
  • You incorrectly charged sales tax to a customer and have refunded the tax to them
  • You received a valid exemption certificate for a sale reported in a prior period and have refunded the tax to your customer

Don’t File an Amended Return to Request:

  • Bad debt loss
  • Returned checks
  • A refund of Sales or Use Tax that you overpaid

Note: All amended returns are subject to review or audit by the Minnesota Department of Revenue. Be sure to keep all supporting documentation from your original and amended return. That documentation must be available if we ask for it.

How To File

File your amended return using e-Services.

Before submitting your amended return, you must enter the following information when prompted:

  • Your name, phone number and reason for filing an amended return.
  • The total amount of taxable sales or purchases due, after your adjustments.  (Don’t enter the difference between the original return and the actual amount due.)

If you are amending multiple periods, you may use Form ST11, Sales and Use Tax Refund Request and Multiple Period Amended Return. Follow instructions on the form.